You know that fall feeling? Even on warm days there’s a feeling that the air is a little bit brittle and things are crackly. It brings to mind hearty meals and warm kitchens. So, basically, food that would potentially bust your nutrition goals in a heartbeat. Good news! You can get some of that comfort without putting your fitness goals into hibernation mode for the winter. Below is a recipe for a stick to your ribs pasta dish that won’t stick to your waistline. A couple of tips: You can buy brussel sprouts pre-shredded at most of your local grocery stores in the salad greens section. HUGE time saver. Also, when you are caramelizing your sprouts, keep the pan hot. Even though they will cook fast, it takes away any bitterness.
ORECCHIETTE WITH BACON AND CARAMELIZED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
A weeknight-friendly dinner with caramelized shredded brussels sprouts, crisp bacon and cheese in a light creamy sauce.
Author: Jess Smith (www.inquiringchef.com)
Recipe type: Pasta / Noodles
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 slices Bacon, preferably thick-cut
- 8 oz Orecchiette Pasta
- 3 cups (about 12 oz) shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 4 oz fresh grated Parmesan Cheese, divided*
- Zest from ½ Lemon
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. (IMPORTANT: Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Do this while the pasta is still boiling, or you’ll forget. I always forget.)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp on both sides. Set it on paper towels to cool and drain all but about 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease out of the pan.
- Return the skillet to the burner and put it over medium-high heat. When the pan is quite hot, add the shredded brussels sprouts and saute until they are turning golden brown in spots and tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter to the pan. When it melts add the pasta, reserved pasta water and half the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and cook just until a light sauce forms and coats the pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pasta from the heat and top with the lemon zest, reserved half of parmesan cheese. Crumble the bacon over the top to finish.
Calories: 464 Total Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 9g Unsaturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 50g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 735mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 25gCholesterol: 43mg
Recipe is originally from inquiringchef.com